Controls vs Injectable .XAP files

Coordinator
May 2, 2009 at 8:11 PM
Edited May 2, 2009 at 8:14 PM
The initial discussion touched on the concept of using injectable .xap files vs creating User Controls for each of the sections of the site.  The main difference in approaches is that if we create injectable .xap files, they would be created as seperate projects and the site would load each of the sections .xap files dynamically.  If were were to create seperate user controls as part of one big project, each section would be implemented as a user control and would compile with the project as a whole.

So let me throw the idea out the following questions:

a) What would be everybody's preference.  Controls or Injectable .xap files?
b) What would you say are the pros and cons of this approach?  
Coordinator
May 3, 2009 at 8:19 AM
Edited May 3, 2009 at 8:20 AM
It has been proposed due to a beautiful concept that us, developers use to love... "the more complicated, the better" ;)

Anyway we still don't have it clear how it could be done and thus, causing to delay the project, which is something we don't want... my preference, against my "instincts to move ahead" is not to do it, at least not now and in an initial phase.

I would go for Controls approach, as we already know how to do them.

this way we can go faster and leave that technique for future versions.

Coordinator
May 4, 2009 at 10:28 PM
Hey Jose,

I agree, my preference would be to go with controls approach for v1.  In later versions, we can discuss other approaches and see if we can re-architect it in a way that we can make it more extensible, and still keep the architecture simple so that non-gurus can implement it easily.